Fly


"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction holding me fast
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to find my way home
Unladened, empty and turned to stone
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Friction lock, set
Mixture, rich
Propellers, fully forward
Flaps, set, 10 degrees
Engine gauges and suction, check
Mixture set to maximum percent, recheck
Altimeters, check both
Navigation lights, on
Strobes, on
Confirm 3-8-Echo ready for departure
Hello again, this is now 129.4
129.4. It's to go.
You may commence your takeoff, winds over 10 knots
3-8-Echo
Easy on the brakes
Take it easy
It's gonna roll this time
Just hand the power gradually, and it...
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer
My grubby halo, a vapor trail in the empty air
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted
Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

"Learning To Fly" by Pink Floyd

No comments: